About Forrest Yoga
Created by Ana Forrest over 30 years ago, Forrest Yoga is a practice designed to free up physical and emotional blocks in the body. Pose modifications are given to suit all levels of students. Forrest Yoga teaches you how to build strength safely, work with injuries, and connect more fully to your breath and body. It is a mindful and therapeutic practice that does not require strength or flexibility; it only requires that you bring a willingness to learn how to feel authentically and respond honestly.
As a beginner to Forrest Yoga, you learn to breath deeply and connect in feeling with your body. As you progress, you get proficient at safely tailoring each pose to work best for you, particularly with physical and emotional injuries. Learning to work honestly at your edges, you develop effective tools to deal with fear, struggle, and breakthroughs. This makes it possible for integrity, self-awareness and playful curiosity to become part of your daily life.
Some Benefits of Forrest Yoga include:
- Reduces stress
- Expands the breath
- Connects you to your body
- Boosts self-esteem
- Increases flexibility
- Strengthens the immune system
- Fosters a connection to Spirit
- Facilitates emotional exploration and release
- Builds community
- Provides an opportunity for relaxation
The 4 Pillars of Forrest Yoga
Forrest Yoga teaches you how to breathe deeply, connect in feeling with your body, use the power of breath to bring aliveness into every cell of your body and ignite your passion for living.
Forrest Yoga teaches you to connect to your core, to be strong and centered. The intense pose sequences are designed to help you develop the skills to awaken each of your senses. The long holds help you progress in the poses and go deeper as you build strength.
Forrest Yoga teaches you to become proficient at safely tailoring each pose to work best
for you, particularly with physical and emotional injuries. By learning to work honestly at your edges,
you develop effective tools to
deal with fear and struggle.
Forrest Yoga's intent is to create a sense of freedom, a connection to your Spirit and the courage to walk as your Spirit dictates.
What distinguishes Forrest Yoga from other types of yoga?
- BREATH: Breath is the cornerstone of Forrest Yoga. Deep breathing allows you to connect in feeling with your body and guides you throughout the class.
- HEAT: The room is heated to 80-85 degrees. Forrest Yoga uses heat, vigorous workouts, and deep breathing to help you sweat out toxins.
- NECK & SHOULDERS: You start the practice by targeting chronically tight areas, especially the neck and shoulders. Forrest Yoga addresses the ailments of modern life: lower and upper back pain, neck and shoulder issues, carpal tunnel syndrome, and intestinal disorders.
- ABDOMINALS: Next, you move on to sets of abdominal exercises. These are intense and not for the faint-of-heart, but they prepare you for the entire class by engaging your core.
- STRENGTH: Forrest Yoga teaches you to connect to your core, to be strong and centered. Long holds in pose sequences and core work help you progress in poses and go deeper as you build strength.
- BASIC MOVES: There are five basic moves that you do in every single pose: active hands and feet, telescoping (spreading) the ribs, tucking the tailbone, relaxing the neck, and wrapping the shoulders.
- MODIFICATION: Forrest Yoga allows you to work with injuries and tailor poses to address your specific needs. As you get more in touch with your body, you learn to safely tailor each pose to work best for you.
- HANDS-ON ASSISTANCE: The instructor circulates throughout the class and offers safe and effective hands-on adjustments. All Forrest Yoga teachers are trained to touch students in a respectful, mindful and healing manner.
- EMOTIONAL HEALING: You work in the poses on an energetic and emotional level as well as a physical one. You use poses to explore where emotions are held in the body and to release emotional backlog.
- INTEGRITY & SPIRIT: Forrest Yoga honors and celebrates the beauty of life and the power of Spirit. It is an inspiring yoga workout that builds flexibility, intelligence, and strength while helping deepen the relationship with your authentic Self. Forrest Yoga challenges you to heal, grow, and welcome your Spirit home.